Current Employment Opportunities at the Elling Eide Center
RESEARCH SPECIALIST/COLLECTION MANAGER
The Elling Eide Center in Sarasota, Florida seeks a Research Specialist/Collection Manager in Chinese Studies to manage the development of the Elling Eide Research Library of books, journals and maps focused on pre-modern China and Inner Asia. The newly built library is located on Little Sarasota Bay surrounded by a natural preserve in Sarasota, FL. The collection currently has 70,000 books and 300 periodical titles in Chinese, Japanese, and Western languages.
Applications are invited from (1) Scholars of pre-modern China who hold a PhD or MA in humanities or social science discipline, who are committed to acquiring online and on the job training in librarianship, and (2) Subject Specialists in Chinese Studies who hold the MLS degree and have job experience with Chinese-language materials at an academic or museum library.
- Collection Development to maintain the library’s usefulness to researchers by identifying significant new publications and digital resources that build upon the collection’s established strengths in history, literature, and related subjects, particularly within its primary focus on China and Inner Asia from the Qin to Five Dynasties era.
- Maintain and develop contacts with vendors of materials in Chinese, Japanese, and Western languages.
- Manage collection development budget.
- Provide information and support for the cataloging of books and materials utilizing OCLC WorldCat. Some original cataloging may be required.
- Plan programs and projects that increase the library’s use and online visibility.
- Represent the library energetically and effectively to researchers, the local community and general public.
- Graduate degree in pre-modern Chines Studies (humanities or social science field ) or MLS from an ALA-accredited institution and two years’ job experience.
- Proficiency in Classical and Modern Chinese, including Romanization systems.
- Broad knowledge of Chinese history and culture, including scholarly resources and bibliographic tools
- Familiarity with the Chinese book trade and publishing trends
- Good communication skills in English and modern Chinese
- Good interpersonal and computer skills.
- Knowledge of LC classification system, subject headings.
- NACO/SACO and AACR2 and RDA rules for cataloging.
- Experience in technical services operations, budget management, collection assessment tools.
- Reading ability in Japanese, Korean, or European languages.
Application Materials: Cover letter & resume; including (3) professional references. Email application materials to Mr. Raymond Santiago, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for complete applications: July 15, 2017. Finalists will be interviewed onsite in late summer. For information about the Elling Eide Center visit www.ellingoeide.org.
Salary: $55,000-$70,000 pending qualifications and work experience. Full Benefits Package included.
The Elling Eide Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
The Center offers summer and semester internships to qualified undergraduate and graduate students. Preference is given to applicants with knowledge of Chinese language and proficiency in computer skills are preferred. Knowledge of Japanese or other Asian language is an asset. Applicants who are interested in Asian Studies, Chinese Studies or library science are encouraged to send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.